Skip to contentSkip to main navigationSkip to search


  1. Email your CalSCHLS Regional Technical Advisor

Your Regional TA can help you identify survey opportunities and survey requirements such as:

    1. The Biennial State Sample which offers incentives of:

      i. Fee waivers
      ii. Free school level reports or private data dashboard credits
      iii. Coordination gift cards

    2. TUPE Grantee requirements

  1. Request the Memorandum of Understanding
    1. The MOU does not obligate you to conduct the survey, but does allow you to move forward with the planning process.
    2. If your County Office of Education or other outside agency is covering the cost for part or all of your survey administration, the MOU will not obligate you to pay those costs.
    3. If your district requires Board approval of and/or the Superintendent’s signature on the MOU, make certain to allow sufficient time to obtain those prior to administering the survey.
    4. Even if your district does not require Board/Superintendent approval, keep them informed about the surveys and obtain their support—they are often the people who will receive calls from parents and reporters. A letter of support from the superintendent is useful for encouraging principals, school staff, and parent participation.

  2. Obtain Parental/Guardian consent if you have not already done so.
    1. See the Parental Consent Page.

  3. Complete the Online Registration Portal if you have not already done so.

The online registration portal is designed for district coordinators to complete prior to contacting your Regional TA. Step by step directions are available here and an instructional video is available here.