CalSCHLS Factsheets summarize the results of analyses of statewide data conducted on different topics. They provide context to help understand local survey results and the value of the data, as well as provide statewide norms for comparison with local results. Among the topics covered is how CHKS results vary based on race/ethnicity, the level of developmental support, and whether youth experience bias-related harassment, chronic sadness, and suicide ideation; are in foster care or attend continuation high schools; and are involved in alcohol, tobacco, or other drug use or other health risks.
Brief research reports based on the CHKS data
- How are Student Reported Health Behavior, School Developmental Supports, and School Safety Related to Sadness and Suicidal Thoughts?
- Trends and Racial/Ethnic Group Differences in Cigarette, E-cigarette, and Marijuana Use among High School Students
- Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Student Perceptions of School Fairness, Discipline, and Racial/Ethnic Conflict
- Trends in Pupil Engagement and Developmental Supports in California – Key Findings from the Biennial State CHKS, 2017/19
- Trends and Demographic Differences in Mental Health among California Secondary Students – Key Findings from the Biennial State CHKS, 2017/19
- Did COVID-related school building closures reduce student tobacco use, marijuana use, and vaping?
- Mental Health Among California Secondary Students Before and the During COVID-19 Pandemic – Key Findings from the Eighteenth Biennial State CHKS, 2019/21
- Trends in Pupil Engagement and Developmental Supports in California During the Onset of the COVID-19 Pandemic – Key Findings from the Eighteenth Biennial State CHKS, 2019/21
- Trends in Alcohol, Tobacco, and Other Drug Use in California – Key Findings from the Eighteenth Biennial State CHKS, 2019/21
Brief research reports based on the California School Staff Survey data
- How School Climate Perceptions Vary by the Race and Ethnicity of Staff
- School Climate Perceptions of Staff in Schools with Different Racial/Ethnic Compositions
Additional factsheets reporting on CalSCHLS data related to school climate are available on the California Safe and Supportive Schools website.
Safe and Supportive Schools Factsheets
- Teacher Support: High Expectations and Caring Relationships
- Opportunities for Meaningful Participation in School
- School Climate and Academic Performance Across California High Schools
- Are School-Level Supports for Teachers and Teacher Collegiality Related to Other School Climate Characteristics and Student Academic Performance?
- School Connectedness and Academic Achievement in California High Schools