Learning from Home Survey
Now available to districts nationwide.
With school buildings around the nation closed due to the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) and districts shifting to distance learning, it is more important than ever to assess students' connectedness to school to help build an online community that fosters student wellness and learning.
For the remainder of the 2019/20 academic year, the California Department of Education is providing a free online Learning from Home Survey to a nationwide audience to assess students' and parents' remote learning experiences. The student survey measures students' home educational routines, engagement and motivation in educational activities, quality of relationships with teachers and peers, and social-emotional well-being. The parent survey asks about experiences, perceptions, and concerns about school building closures and the district's remote learning program.These surveys are intended to rapidly gather data to assess students' readiness to continue to learn from home.
Your school and/or district Learning from Home Survey results will be available on a secure online dashboard accessible from the My Surveys portal beginning one week after administration begins, and updated two times a week thereafter as necessary.
Quick facts about the Learning from Home Survey:
- Please contact the California School Climate, Health, and Learning Survey (CalSCHLS) Regional Center (888.841.7536) or CalSCHLS@WestEd.org) to organize your administration of the survey.
- The online survey and the online dashboard are offered at no cost to all districts.
- Both an elementary and secondary student survey are available.
- The survey is administered completely online.
- The survey is suitable for administration to the same group of students multiple times during the rest of the school year to capture trends across time. Just let the CalSCHLS Regional Center know if you would like to use the survey to track trends.
- Survey results are available only through the online dashboard.
- Elementary Learning from Home Survey (English)
- Elementary Learning from Home Survey (Spanish)
- Secondary Learning from Home Survey (English)
- Secondary Learning from Home Survey (Spanish)
- Parent Learning from Home Survey (English)
- Parent Learning from Home Survey (Spanish)
Learning from Home Survey Content
|Learning from Home||Days did schoolwork from home||✔||✔|
|Days interacted with teachers||✔||✔|
|Daily hours did schoolwork from home||✔||✔|
|Attention on schoolwork||✔|
|Interest in schoolwork||✔||✔|
|Relationships||Caring relationships with school adults||✔||✔|
|Meaningful schoolwork activities||✔||✔|
|Parent involvement in schoolwork||✔|
|Days interacted with peers||✔||✔|
|Social & Emotional Health||Social-emotional distress||✔|