Parent or guardian consent is required for students to take the CHKS. According to state law, as applied to the basic CHKS survey, active or opt-in consent must be used in grades K-6 and passive or opt-out consent in grades 7-12.
- Active Consent (grades K-6): A permission form is sent home with students. No student may be surveyed unless a parent/guardian returns the form granting permission.
- Passive Consent (grades 7-12): A form is sent home with students notifying parents/guardians about the survey. Parents/guardians return the form only if they do not approve participation (they opt-out).
Obtaining and carefully documenting parent consent is a critically important task:
- This will help you avoid surveying a student whose parents declined participation or did not receive notification; and
- Low consent rates can result in low student participation and thus jeopardize the value of the results and the whole survey effort.
Detailed information about consent requirements and how to ensure a high rate of consent-form return and approval is provided in the CalSCHLS Survey Administration Guide. Sample Consent Forms that you can customize are available below.
- Sample Elementary School Introductory Letter (Active)
- Sample Middle/High School Introductory Letter (Passive)
Active Consent Only
Under active consent a permission form is sent home with students. Parents/guardians must return the form in order to give their permission.
Middle Schools and High Schools
Under passive consent a form is sent home with students notifying parents about the survey. Parents/guardians return the form only if they do not wish for their student to participate.